Your 10 months old pup is full of life and energy. Your pup will look like a fully grown dog but there are still areas of maturity and development, both physically and mentally.
This is a tricky age and the puppy is considered a teenager. The little one now starts considering themselves as independent.
Your dog needs guidance and opportunities for socialization. You should also provide them exercise and other activities for physical and mental enrichment.
Your 10-month-old puppy is eager to learn new tricks and things.
Physical and mental stimulation through exercise and training will help channel your dog’s energy in a constructive way.
Does your dog get bored with activities and exercises you used to play? If so, you need to add some variety to keep your pup engaged and excited. Here are some exercises, new games, and fun activities for your 10 months old dog:
• Fetch Games: Dogs are great chasers and fetch games will help to burn pent-up energy. It enables your dog to remain physically and mentally stimulated. You will need a small and tough ball or toy, suitable for dogs and ask him to fetch the ball.
• Tug of War: Dogs love tug of war almost as much as we do. They can play this game for hours. You'll need a strong tug toy for this game. Remember to supervise the game if kids are playing. While playing tug of war, it’s important to ensure that your puppy doesn’t become too aggressive. It should be a controlled game and they release when you want them to.
• Find The Treat: This is a fun game for your 10-month-old dog but a more relaxed game for you. It is played by hiding your treats around the house and is a great way to keep them occupied and steal away an hour for yourself. Instead of treats, you can hide their favorite toys as well. Some dogs can find the treats very quickly while others will take a little longer.
• Running, and Jogging: A short run or jog can do wonders for your 10-month-old dog. This will burn off a good deal of their pent up energy.
• Swimming: Swimming is a great exercise for a 10-month-old dog. It burns energy and uses all the muscles including the front legs and shoulders. Dogs love playing and swimming in the water. It is a low impact activity that burns energy fast and helps to strengthen and tone muscles. You must ensure that your dog has a swim vest for safety.
• Frisbee Toss: A Frisbee requires skill, coordination, and timing. It is a great energy burner and you may be amazed at your dog’s acrobatic skill. Start by rolling the frisbee on the ground towards your 10-month-old dog. Once the dog plays well and ready to go to the next level, try tossing it a bit higher and further.
Try to socialize your 10-month-old dog as much as possible. Make sure your puppy gets to encounter all kinds of people, animals, and objects in different places. Introducing new places and meeting new people will help your puppy stay well mannered into adulthood.
The easiest way to socialize is to take your dog for a daily walk. They can socialize and stimulate their mind with the sights, sounds, and smells they come across. Some dog parks have a track that you can utilize for walking.
If you are unable to devote much time, it’s better to enroll your 10-month-old puppy in dog classes. Your pooch will learn basic manners and how to behave around other dogs. This will be a great place to help your 10-month-old dog with basic obedience and socialization training.
Dog daycare is beneficial for all ages, especially for your 10-month-old dog. It offers plenty of different socialization options, including new people, new dogs, and new sights, smells, and sounds.
Take advantage of this age and teach your dog new things and build their stamina. Your pup needs to move into adulthood with ample socialization and a nice training foundation!
All you need to do is be to be consistently firm and patient with your 10-month-old dog. He will turn out to be a perfect companion.